Saturday, March 13, 2010

A little dinner music

Pretty Pants and I have a combined total of 4,432 songs on our iPods. 4,432! I'm sure a lot of you out there have so much more and if you do please tell me what you do with all that music?!? I was fortunate that my parents were avid music listeners and that we drove cross country (thrice!) so I really got into the habit of listening to music at an early age. Enough to collect music from various genres and artists that make up the soundtrack of my life. But I'll talk more about why I think music is so meaningful in a future post.

One way we incorporate music in our lives is playing music during dinner. We've already established the importance of eating together as a family but each time we sit down for our evening meal either my husband or I selects a genre or album we haven't heard in a while and have it play in the background. Our music selection can go from: pop, rock, r&b, soul, classical, international, hip hop, oldies, OPM (Original Pilipino Music) and holiday. (Christmas music starts playing in our house right after Halloween) The girls seem to enjoy it as we laugh and dance together in our seats or play the, "What instrument/artist is that?" recognition game. Playing music during dinner is another piece of our routine that I hope the girls will take with them when they have their own families. As I have fond memories of those cross country trips with my parents and the music they played I can only hope I've added to my girls' life soundtrack.

Here are some of the music we play during dinner:

Aerosmith'S Greatest HitsBuena Vista Social Club August Rush: Music From The Motion Picture 100 Best Film Classics Once Again Anthology Abbey Road (Remastered) Songs of Freedom The Power Of One: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Rent (1996 Original Broadway Cast) THE E.N.D. (Energy Never Dies) Be40/4019Breath from AnotherGreatest Hits

2 comments:

  1. Love this, and we do similar things by "theming" our dinners. So on Italian night when we make somethin'-parmagiana - we'll pull up Pandora or a similar internet radio and play some Louis Prima & Frank Sinatra. On taco night we'll find a local spanish radio station and have some cerveza's while we cook together... Fun and memorable. Great to see someone else who stresses music appreciation to the kids! (My daughter could identify Bob Marley in a restaurant by age 2... ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I actually just saw an cd with songs that you would play at an Italian restaurant. How fun are your dinners! Thanks for sharing (and reading!)

    ReplyDelete