Sunday, March 7, 2010

growing a social conscience

I've been a lot more grateful lately. I've found that when times are tough, I've found myself having just a little more patience and a lot more faith that things will all work out for the best. And as I hold my breath for the moments where I feel that I've ridden out the rough patches of life and am basking in the sun at the end of a journey, I realize how blessed I really am.


Which leads me to think about the meaning of gratitude, the rewards of giving back, of paying forward to those who are less fortunate or just need more support, because the reality is we all have/is/will be at a point of our own journeys where we would be on the receiving end of someone's kindness. I think about serving community a lot. I've been strategizing in my head where I would like to spend my time, what I would like to give back to and how I would go about doing it. (I know I think wayyy too much) I think about how important it is for my girls to see their parents involved in charitable activities. To be their examples for kindness, empathy,  and doing good for the greater good sometimes overwhelms me (there goes that too much thinking again) but at the same time I know that my actions will speak so much louder than my words, especially when it comes to making a difference. Because isn't that what we want our children to grow up to be after all? Conscientious, empathetic, kind and respectful individuals?
The Colonel was always so heavily involved in her community. I've been so blessed to have this woman, my mother show me through her actions how gratifying being a part of something greater than yourself and your family means. Because isn't that what it's all about? "Healing the world, making it a better place, for you and for me and the entire human race..."(thanks MJ) Taking some time out to help someone else is always a positive experience. Whether it be holding the door for someone else, a thank you to the cashier at your grocery store, letting someone cut in front of you because they look like they're in a hurry or they've got a crying baby that you know they just want out the door, I've taken these small actions daily and they really do make a big difference in how the rest of my day goes.


So now I'm ready to take the next big step towards paying it forward and granted it's a semi-selfish act but hey we're talking baby steps here right? Looks like Disney's got the right attitude by promoting their "Give a Day, Get a Day" program. Pretty Pants and I are planning to sign up this month so stay tuned!


Let's be kind today, folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment