Monday, February 22, 2010

a birth story 2.0

Our little Spaghetti turned two over the weekend! I can remember it so vividly. Some of you have asked to share my story, so here it is. I wrote this about a month after Spaghetti was born and still count my blessings every day. Enjoy!

I had my routine checkup w/our OB Tuesday morning where she stripped my membrane. The OB said that usually stripping the membrane usually induces labor. Spaghetti was not due until another couple weeks (2/29, leap year) so I didn't believe she would come so soon. To enhance the "induction" I went home and had a pepperoni/jalapeno pizza, they said spicy food helps the labor along as well.

With still no contractions and high doubts, I went to class that night. I arrived home at about 10:30p and still nothing alarming. At about midnight, I started to feel the contractions, Pretty Pants had already went to bed and I did not wake him until I knew for sure. During this time, I started to chart my contractions, they didn't seem too painful but just in case I took a shower, ensured we had our bags ready and studied. At about 2:30a I could no longer write down my contractions, so I woke Pretty Pants up, he too, didn't feel that sense of urgency (looking back he thought I was way too calm!) so he also got ready, showered, and called the hospital. We even set up the car seat in between contractions! Within the next two hours chaos reared its ugly head, the contractions were coming closer, the hospital  had no beds, I could not stand up, the hospital still had no beds, Pretty Pants had woken up Meatball, at this point the pain was excruciating, and in an almost the same instance: Pretty Pants started to pack up the car, Meatball was holding my hand, the hospital had called to say they were ready for us and my water had broke!!

I barely could get into the car so I laid on my side in the back seat. I remember bracing Meatball w/my free arm as Pretty Pants backed out of the driveway. At this point, the contractions seemed to be tripping over each other, then I felt my body start to push to the point where I could feel the top of Spaghetti's head. Each time my body pushed I would relay the message to Pretty Pants and the Meatball gave him a play by play. ("Mommy can feel the head, Pretty Pants!") Feeling her head, I realized I had to make a decision to push with my body and deliver Spaghetti because I didn't want her to be "stuck" in any way. After about 3 pushes (her head, her tailbone, then her whole body) Spaghetti was born.

Five minutes later, we arrived at the hospital. Pretty Pants ran to get help, at first, they came out with just a wheelchair and an orderly, then they returned with 5 people peering into our back seat looking at me, Meatball and Spaghetti. The onduty physician got into the car on top of me, cut off my pajamas, cut Spaghetti's umbilical cord and took her away. After I had delivered the placenta, we all soon followed inside.

After a couple hours of recovery and quite an adventure, we were all finally together. Meatball even lost her first tooth while waiting to see her new sister! After so much excitement, we were all just very happy and thankful that Spaghetti was healthy and now with us.

Happy 2nd birthday, Spaghetti!

No comments:

Post a Comment